It's Volunteer Week 2018! In our third feature, meet one of our fabulous London coaches, Michayla.
1. How did you become involved in Mini Mermaids?
I was interested in volunteering and was searching opportunists and groups online. I came across Mini Mermaids and sent in an application form. And that was that!
2. What surprised you the most about the programme?
The fact that the girls pick things up so quickly & really do understand what we’re trying to teach them
3. If you could take one lesson from Mini Mermaids back to your 10 year old self, what would it be?
I wasn’t a very loud or outspoken child so I often fell quiet around groups of kids. I’d let my 10 year old self know that it’s okay not to be loud or outspoken, but to have the confidence to be myself. Just because you’re quiet doesn’t mean you’re ignored.
4. Can you share a Mini Mermaid Moment?
One of the girls in the group has always been slightly quieter. Our last session it was like she was a completely different person! She came in bounding, giggling and full of energy. It was great to see her interacting so much more.
5. When I'm not coaching, you can find me...
At the gym or playing netball. On the off chance it’s not actually raining in the UK, you might find me out for a run.